Rising fuel prices impacting Valley non-profit groups
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Rising fuel prices are impacting nearly everyone, including non-profit groups in the Valley.
Greg Chinn provides fresh produce and other food items to Tulare County families in need.
Volunteers help the Visalia Gleaning Seniors deliver the daily meals but rising fuel prices now have them asking for gas money.
"On the daily operations a lot of people were donating their gas time," Chinn said. "Now they're not. They're saying we need to be paid."
The group collects donated food and clothing items but fuel is taking up more and more of their operating costs.
Chinn said, "About 85 percent of our money goes to gas in the trucks or we pay mileage to the members to come out here to work to get the food out to people."
The Farmersville senior center is one of the places served by the Visalia Gleaning Seniors.
Claudia Guzman cooks meals here. She notices when some of the regulars are missing.
Guzman said, "We used to have a senior from Visalia and a lot of times we couldn't go and pick him up sometimes because of the gas and there's sometimes all of us pitch in and one of us will go pick them up so us workers try to help him out."
Despite the rising gas prices Chinn says his group won't cut back on food deliveries.
consumer, dale yurong
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos