Rising fuel prices impacting Valley non-profit groups
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Rising fuel prices are impacting nearly everyone, including non-profit groups in the Valley.
Greg Chinn provides fresh produce and other food items to Tulare County families in need.
Volunteers help the Visalia Gleaning Seniors deliver the daily meals but rising fuel prices now have them asking for gas money.
"On the daily operations a lot of people were donating their gas time," Chinn said. "Now they're not. They're saying we need to be paid."
The group collects donated food and clothing items but fuel is taking up more and more of their operating costs.
Chinn said, "About 85 percent of our money goes to gas in the trucks or we pay mileage to the members to come out here to work to get the food out to people."
The Farmersville senior center is one of the places served by the Visalia Gleaning Seniors.
Claudia Guzman cooks meals here. She notices when some of the regulars are missing.
Guzman said, "We used to have a senior from Visalia and a lot of times we couldn't go and pick him up sometimes because of the gas and there's sometimes all of us pitch in and one of us will go pick them up so us workers try to help him out."
Despite the rising gas prices Chinn says his group won't cut back on food deliveries.
consumer, dale yurong
- Victim in fatal stabbing well known in the Tower District 49 min ago
- Fire truck overturns in multiple vehicle collision in SE Fresno 7 min ago
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Coalinga dentist sentenced for son's dentist chair overdose
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Brad Pitt face blindness
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Top Valley grad rises from humble roots
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires
- Police: Released parole violator shot at officers
- New medical center breaks ground in Visalia
- Fresno City Council votes against planned bike lane
- Accuweather Forecast
14 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos