Valley drivers keep close eye on rising gas prices
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The pain at the pump is more intense in California than anywhere else in the country. And no city has seen a sharper increase in recent weeks than Fresno.
According to gasbuddy.com, the average retail gasoline prices in Fresno have risen 13.8 cents per gallon in the past week, averaging $3.91 per gallon.
No matter where you go in the Valley, filling up at the pump is getting more expensive.
"It was going down and then all of a sudden overnight it just went up," Alfred Lozano said. "It's just crazy."
Local drivers like Alfred Lozano say they've been keeping a close eye on their wallets as gas prices hover around $4.00 a gallon.
"At one time it was $10 and now it's $20," Lozano said. "It's $20 a day for gas to come down everyday."
Local companies who rely on gas to fuel their business are struggling with the rising gas prices. Although gas prices have gone up across the country, here on the West Coast, we're really feeling the pain at the pump.
Gregg Laskoski, Senior Petroleum Analyst for gasbuddy.com said, "That is almost double the price increase across the country. Reason is because California refineries are underperforming."
The productions problems at California refineries are forcing families to get a little more creative on their road trips.
"That's crazy," Delia Salgado said. "I know it's almost $4 now. It's outrageous. So it is cheaper for me coming this way on a train instead of traveling in a car."
Salgado and her son Xavier rode the rails back home Monday morning. Train passengers say taking the train saves them money and headaches.
"About $20-25 dollars," Selena Alvarez said. "With gas I might have paid 35, plus like I said the wear and tear on the vehicle. I liked it and I don't have to worry about changing lanes."
And gasbuddy.com says gas prices should stabilize right around May, right before the usual spike around Memorial Day. Something we won't want to forget when budgeting our future road trips.
gas prices, consumer, amanda venegas
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe 9 min ago
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Video: Fresno's homeless search for shelter from...
- How outside workers deal with cold temps
47 min ago