The gas saving truth behind electric cars
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- More and more auto makers are coming out with cars that are all electric with several claiming the equivalent of 100 miles per gallon or more.
The government tax credit of up to $7,500 could have you thinking about getting an electric vehicle.
Ford calls the Ford Focus electric vehicle the most fuel-efficient compact car in America. Consumer reports find it can get the equivalent of 107 miles per gallon. The engineers compared it with other all-electric cars, including the smaller sub-compact Mitsubishi I-Miev.
Consumer Reports Rik Paul said, "The I-Miev is even more fuel-efficient, getting the equivalent of 111 miles per gallon. It's also easy to park, but it's slow and cramped, and it rides stiffly. In fact, our engineers thought it was more like a glorified golf cart."
With any all-electric car, a primary consideration is how far it will go on a charge.
Consumer Reports found the I-Miev's range is around 60 miles.
"It takes 21 hours to recharge the I-Miev on household current, but you can get a 240-volt charger installed in your house that will cut that time down to six hours," Paul said.
The most luxurious all-electric car so far is the Tesla Model S. It claims a range of up to 265 miles. Special charging stations can charge the battery halfway in just 30 minutes.
"Our initial impression of the Model S is that it's quick, agile, roomy, and refined. But it's also expensive - starting at $57,000, and the top-of-the-line model is closer to $100,000" Paul said.
The Ford Focus electric falls somewhere in the middle with Consumer Reports saying it's cost, $41,000. Its range is about 80 miles. And a full charge takes less than four hours with a 240-volt charger.
The Ford Focus electric performed well at the consumer reports test track, with impressive ride and handling.
It proved a lot more fun to drive than the Nissan Leaf - the first of the new wave of electric cars.
consumer, christine park
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- SoCal nurse in critical condition after stabbing
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter 10 min ago
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps 39 min ago
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help 33 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart