FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The latest buzzword in supermarkets is "antioxidants." You see it everywhere. Snapple iced tea mix boasts "antioxidants." Tropicana orange juice says it has an "antioxidant advantage." And even a bag of chips claims it "contains antioxidant power."
Antioxidants are beneficial. They block the action of free radicals, which can damage healthy cells in your body and contribute to heart disease, cancer, and other illnesses. But Consumer Reports' health experts say don't be taken in by packaged foods touting antioxidants.
A manufacturer can add antioxidants to food, but that doesn't mean it's a good source for what you need. Take Kellogg's FiberPlus bars that say they are "rich in antioxidants, Vitamin E, and Zinc." You can get more vitamin E from just 1 ounce of almonds, and you can get more zinc from just 3 ounces of lean beef.
And should you really focus on wild blueberries? Are they the "No. 1 antioxidant fruit"? Consumer Reports says there is no one antioxidant "superfood." The best thing to do is eat a wide variety of foods that are naturally rich in antioxidants, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Those will give you the biggest benefit.
As for antioxidant supplements, Consumer Reports says clinical trials of supplemental antioxidants haven't shown much real benefit and even suggest some supplements could be harmful. So stick with food to get your antioxidants.
consumer, christine park
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley 36 min ago
- Dozens killed as tornado strikes Oklahoma town 3 min ago
- Tower District crimes attacked head-on 28 min ago
- Fowler High School holds college signing day 11 min ago
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Cement truck overturns on HWY 99 to HWY 180 interchange
- Neighbors help save Madera home from fire
- The skinny on fitness video games
- The final push for California's 16th Senate seat
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Accuweather Forecast
18 min ago
- Fowler High School holds college signing day
11 min ago
- Tower District crimes attacked head-on
29 min ago
- State senate special election approaching
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos