Safe from Scams: Gift card scams
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Win a $500 gas card by paying just $79.99. Sounds like a scam. And it is.
Postal inspectors discovered this one online while looking for scams that pose a risk to consumers. Here is how it works:
Laura, a United States postal inspector, said, "You would send the $79.95 to the suspect and they would send you paperwork back on how to conduct your own scam."
Victims never received a $500 gift card. They got a blueprint on how to con more folks out of money.
"They would tell you how to place an ad in a newspaper or online advertising this $500 gift card for $79.95 thereby you would get the 79.95 from these victims, so this could perpetuate into additional victims," said Laura.
Inspectors say they are seeing more of these simple scams.
"During tough economic times it's difficult for people to get to their own job, let alone pay for the gas to get there, so a $79.95 dollar payment for a $500 gift card sounds really great to people," said Laura.
So, what should consumers do?
Laura said, "If you're internet savvy looking for bargains, deals or coupons, review these things."
Also, contact the Better Business Bureau.
"See what they advise if they have had any complaints about the company you're looking for," said Laura.
Do a gut check. If there is something that just does not seem right about the company, walk away and do not get involved.
safe from scams, scams, consumer, jason oliveira
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- Wheels of Hope awards Valley family a new car
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos