Finding reliable motorcycles
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Motorcycles offer an exhilarating riding experience and can deliver impressive fuel savings. If you're thinking about getting one, Consumer Reports National Research Center surveyed more than 4,000 motorcycle owners to find some of the most reliable ones.
It turns out Harley-Davidson and BMW were more repair-prone than Japanese brands Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda. But the survey showed owners of Harleys and BMWs were among the most satisfied with their motorcycles.
No matter which brand you buy, basic maintenance will help avoid costly repairs. For instance, replacing $50 brake pads before they're worn down can save you hundreds on damaged rotors and other parts.
Keeping tires properly inflated will prevent premature tire wear and give you much better handling. If your motorcycle calls for premium gas, use it.
And it's best to store your bike in a protected area or cover it to prevent unnecessary wear. And if it's going to sit for any period of time, be sure to add fuel stabilizer to a full tank of gas.
All that can help keep repair costs down and your motorcycle cruising down the road. Consumer Report says it's a good idea to get in the habit of doing a quick visual check before getting on your motorcycle. Look for any leaks or cracks in hoses or tires.
consumer, christine park
- Shooting reported at federal courthouse in Utah 3 min ago
- One person killed in Fresno County crash
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- Kraft recalls 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Photos: Valley families celebrate Easter
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter