Finding reliable motorcycles
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Motorcycles offer an exhilarating riding experience and can deliver impressive fuel savings. If you're thinking about getting one, Consumer Reports National Research Center surveyed more than 4,000 motorcycle owners to find some of the most reliable ones.
It turns out Harley-Davidson and BMW were more repair-prone than Japanese brands Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda. But the survey showed owners of Harleys and BMWs were among the most satisfied with their motorcycles.
No matter which brand you buy, basic maintenance will help avoid costly repairs. For instance, replacing $50 brake pads before they're worn down can save you hundreds on damaged rotors and other parts.
Keeping tires properly inflated will prevent premature tire wear and give you much better handling. If your motorcycle calls for premium gas, use it.
And it's best to store your bike in a protected area or cover it to prevent unnecessary wear. And if it's going to sit for any period of time, be sure to add fuel stabilizer to a full tank of gas.
All that can help keep repair costs down and your motorcycle cruising down the road. Consumer Report says it's a good idea to get in the habit of doing a quick visual check before getting on your motorcycle. Look for any leaks or cracks in hoses or tires.
consumer, christine park
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals