Overseas lotto scams prey on elderly
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Cha and Marcia tell us how their mother has been repeatedly tricked into sending money to unknown sources because she thinks she will strike it rich. The sisters tell us how the fraudsters continuously manipulate their mother into sending thousands, and what they are still doing to try and convince her to stop paying.
Their 88-year-old mother, Elizabeth has already lost thousands of dollars in foreign lottery schemes.
"She is convinced she is going to get a car -- and $30 million -- and she will always ask 'What kind of car do you want?'" says the victim's daughter, Marcia Jones.
Despite the best efforts by authorities, Elizabeth still believes her big pay day is imminent.
"Unfortunately, she was a true believer in the fraudsters, and they had befriended her and thought she won something. We were unable to convince her she had been scammed," says US Postal Inspector, Frank Schissler.
safe from scams, consumer, jason oliveira
- 12 people injured in SW Fresno car crash 8 min ago
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Trevor Bishop charged with murder in child death
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- Chef Shayna's Irish favorites
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Man who woke up inside body bag dies
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- John Hancock observatory in Chicago to Tilt
- 12 people injured in SW Fresno car crash
9 min ago