Overseas lotto scams prey on elderly
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Cha and Marcia tell us how their mother has been repeatedly tricked into sending money to unknown sources because she thinks she will strike it rich. The sisters tell us how the fraudsters continuously manipulate their mother into sending thousands, and what they are still doing to try and convince her to stop paying.
Their 88-year-old mother, Elizabeth has already lost thousands of dollars in foreign lottery schemes.
"She is convinced she is going to get a car -- and $30 million -- and she will always ask 'What kind of car do you want?'" says the victim's daughter, Marcia Jones.
Despite the best efforts by authorities, Elizabeth still believes her big pay day is imminent.
"Unfortunately, she was a true believer in the fraudsters, and they had befriended her and thought she won something. We were unable to convince her she had been scammed," says US Postal Inspector, Frank Schissler.
safe from scams, consumer, jason oliveira
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Wonder Woman cast for Batman and Superman film
- Autopsy: Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- A wish is coming true for a South Valley girl