Consumer Reports top 3 rated beers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- On July 4th if you are celebrating with a big name beer why not consider one of the thousands of craft beers out there.
On Independence Day, Consumer Reports features some small and independent breweries churning out some tasty offerings. Captain Lawrence Brewing Company prides itself on every bottle of beer it brews.
"Beer made at a craft brewery our size has soul, it has flavor, and it has an intensity of flavor that many large breweries just can't match, " said Scott Vaccaro with Captain Lawrence Brewing Company.
Adam Kaplan and experts at Consumer Reports conducted blind taste tests of 23 ales and lagers and found there were some distinct differences. One taster compared the lowest-rated ale, Magic Hat, to a peach-tea drink.
But consumer reports rated 13 craft beers very good or even excellent, including several India pale ales.
" India pale ales tend to be more floral and fruity than a lot of other beers, and they have an intense, lingering bitterness," said Adam Kaplan from Consumer Reports.
Stone IPA is top-rated, with complex flavors, but its bitterness might be too much for some people and so could the price, at nearly $11 for a six-pack. For much less, $7.36 for a six-pack, Shock Top wheat IPA is a Consumer Reports best buy. It is a little less bitter with a slight sweetness.
Samuel Adams Boston came out on top with a range of malt and hops flavors. A six-pack goes for $8.60. Dogfish head 60 minute IPA has a great mix of malty and hop notes, with fruity and floral flavors, and is more intense than most. It costs around $10 for a six-pack.
fresno, fresno county, consumer, christine park
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Two killed in shooting in Lindcove
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman