Safe from Scams: Children's Identity Safety
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Just days after they are born, children receive a Social Security number and immediately become vulnerable to identity theft. If that sounds crazy consider this: children and adolescents have become the fastest growing sector of identity theft victims.
"Be aware of how your children's personal information is used just like your own information Social Security number, and date of birth, be aware of how it is being used," U.S. Postal Inspector Jim Walsh said.
In one case, more than 500 elementary school kids had their information compromised. A suspect with access to school files sold the kids' personal information to another suspect.
"There were hundreds of accounts opened and most of the accounts were used to get money," Walsh said.
Suspects withdrew cash advances or would sell the names to make fake college ID's. Postal inspectors say children have clean credit histories which makes them appealing to criminals.
"If they apply for a loan or try to get credit they could find out their credit is basically ruined and wouldn't know it the whole time they are growing up," Walsh said.
Some advice, periodically check your child's credit. Trying to fix a child's ruined credit is just as time consuming as is repairing an adult's credit.
consumer, jason oliveira
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos