Store owner shot during attempted robbery
WEST OAK LANE - March 6, 2012 -- A store owner is very critical after being shot during an attempted robbery in Philadelphia's West Oak Lane section.
The incident took place around 7:25 p.m. at the Super Chicken Grocery at Haines and Rodney streets.
The owner tried to fight off a masked, armed robber who ran into his corner store and demanded cash.
"He's a fighter, that's how he's always been, he didn't take anything from anybody, he was always that type of guy," the victim's nephew said.
The nephew says his uncle, identified as 39-year-old Luis Espinal, was shot in the right arm and chest before the gunman took off on Haines street.
"I know it's hard times, but you've got to earn your money honestly, you can't go around robbing people and thinking you're going to get away with it," the nephew said.
Police combed the area, inside and outside the store, looking for clues.
But their break may come from the surveillance cameras which captured the crime.
"Detectives are reviewing those surveillance cameras at this time, if anyone has information we encourage them to call 911, all calls are confidential," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.
One customer inside the store and another outside witnessed the incident.
UPDATE:Espinal underwent surgery at Albert Einstein Medical Center. On Wednesday, he was upgraded to serious condition.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, west oak lane, shooting, robbery, crime
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years