Man charged in sexual assault of 81-year-old
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - March 24, 2012 -- Police say they arrested a 55-year-old man in the September sexual assault of an elderly woman inside her home.
The suspect - Robert Ashley - was taken into custody Friday.
Ashley faces sexual assault, robbery, and related charges for an attack on an 81-year-old woman last year.
On Sept. 20, police received the call of a rape on the 1300 block of South 51st Street.
The victim reported that she was sleeping in her second floor bedroom when she awoke to find an unknown male on top of her.
The suspect physically and sexually assaulted her until she was able to push him away, at which point he fled the scene.
The victim was taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital for minor treatment.
DNA evidence linked Ashley to the crime and officers arrested him at a home in Drexel Hill.
According to police, Ashley admitted in a statement to entering the home, stealing an undisclosed amount of money and sexually assaulting the victim.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, southwest philadelphia, sex assault, rape, crime
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach 26 min ago
- Two killed in shooting in Lindcove
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View' 53 min ago
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit 53 min ago
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed 53 min ago
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman