Man charged in sexual assault of 81-year-old
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - March 24, 2012 -- Police say they arrested a 55-year-old man in the September sexual assault of an elderly woman inside her home.
The suspect - Robert Ashley - was taken into custody Friday.
Ashley faces sexual assault, robbery, and related charges for an attack on an 81-year-old woman last year.
On Sept. 20, police received the call of a rape on the 1300 block of South 51st Street.
The victim reported that she was sleeping in her second floor bedroom when she awoke to find an unknown male on top of her.
The suspect physically and sexually assaulted her until she was able to push him away, at which point he fled the scene.
The victim was taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital for minor treatment.
DNA evidence linked Ashley to the crime and officers arrested him at a home in Drexel Hill.
According to police, Ashley admitted in a statement to entering the home, stealing an undisclosed amount of money and sexually assaulting the victim.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, southwest philadelphia, sex assault, rape, crime
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 22 min ago
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach 39 min ago
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy 17 min ago
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
59 min ago