Man charged in sexual assault of 81-year-old
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - March 24, 2012 -- Police say they arrested a 55-year-old man in the September sexual assault of an elderly woman inside her home.
The suspect - Robert Ashley - was taken into custody Friday.
Ashley faces sexual assault, robbery, and related charges for an attack on an 81-year-old woman last year.
On Sept. 20, police received the call of a rape on the 1300 block of South 51st Street.
The victim reported that she was sleeping in her second floor bedroom when she awoke to find an unknown male on top of her.
The suspect physically and sexually assaulted her until she was able to push him away, at which point he fled the scene.
The victim was taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital for minor treatment.
DNA evidence linked Ashley to the crime and officers arrested him at a home in Drexel Hill.
According to police, Ashley admitted in a statement to entering the home, stealing an undisclosed amount of money and sexually assaulting the victim.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, southwest philadelphia, sex assault, rape, crime
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Growers watch hourly temps as cold snap approaches
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- OTRC: Paul Walker autopsy results released 27 min ago
- BART train evacuated after brake problem 13 min ago
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Man tries to kill ex-girlfriend by setting fire to home
- Blue jean bandits hit Eye Candy Fashion Boutique
- Man and two children killed in Merced fire
- Video: Fresno's Christmas Tree Lane sees big crowds
- Suspect hit in Fresno Co. officer involved shooting
- City of Fresno to open warming center
- 68th annual Candy Cane Lane Parade sees changes