Delco babysitter convicted for toddler's death
MEDIA, Pa. - January 12, 2013 -- A Delaware County woman was convicted of third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the death of a toddler in her care.
The Delaware County Daily Times says Delaware County jurors deliberated for about 5½ hours before convicting 24-year-old Heather Hess on Friday on those counts as well as endangering the welfare of a child and aggravated assault.
Hess testified that she was playing "airplane" with 2½-year-old David Miller Jr. in December 2011 but the toddler hit a wall. She said she told police and paramedics that he had choked on a water bottle cap because she didn't want to get into trouble.
Prosecutors, however, said the child was shaken violently and his injuries couldn't have been caused by hitting a wall.
Sentencing is scheduled for March.
Information from: Delaware County Daily Times
pennsylvania, delaware county, child death, crime
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet 24 min ago
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case 38 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident