Delco babysitter convicted for toddler's death
MEDIA, Pa. - January 12, 2013 -- A Delaware County woman was convicted of third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the death of a toddler in her care.
The Delaware County Daily Times says Delaware County jurors deliberated for about 5½ hours before convicting 24-year-old Heather Hess on Friday on those counts as well as endangering the welfare of a child and aggravated assault.
Hess testified that she was playing "airplane" with 2½-year-old David Miller Jr. in December 2011 but the toddler hit a wall. She said she told police and paramedics that he had choked on a water bottle cap because she didn't want to get into trouble.
Prosecutors, however, said the child was shaken violently and his injuries couldn't have been caused by hitting a wall.
Sentencing is scheduled for March.
Information from: Delaware County Daily Times
pennsylvania, delaware county, child death, crime
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela 34 min ago
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 28 min ago
- Man wanted for shooting near Fresno ice rink arrested
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Photos: Winter Wonderland
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary