Man gets 15 to 30 years in Pa. infant's death
NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) - June 26, 2013 -- A suburban Philadelphia man has been sentenced to 15 to 30 years in the death of his infant son two years ago.
Jameel East, 24, of Lansdale had pleaded guilty in January in Montgomery County Court to third-degree murder and lying to authorities in the June 2011 death of three-month-old Enzo East.
Authorities said the defendant was frustrated after the child threw up on him, and he banged the infant's head on a sink counter in the bathroom.
"I can only imagine the amount of force that had to be utilized to create the two wounds to the child's head," President Judge William Furber Jr. said during Wednesday's sentencing.
Defense attorneys sought a lesser sentence, arguing that East wasn't a "bad person" but didn't have the parenting skills to handle the situation, The (Doylestown) Intelligencer said.
"No one is ever ready to care for a baby," said Assistant District Attorney Samantha Cauffman said. "It is something you learn as you go along. By actively taking a role in that baby's life, you are telling that child you will take care of him, not hurt him."
child abuse, homicide, montgomery county, pennsylvania, crime
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US 12 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos