Teacher Inspires Students While Battling Cancer
EASTON, Calif. (KFSN) -- A local Valley teacher coaches and teaches inside and outside of the classroom, all the while battling cancer.
Washington Union Soccer Coach Chandler West says his team accomplished his two main goals this year, to have fun and get better.
While trying to lead his soccer team to victory, Coach West has been in a personal battle with cancer for nearly 12-years after being diagnosed with chronic lymphatic leukemia or C.L.L.
"If I can get up and make it to school that's a good day. I haven't had many bad days," said West.
Last year he developed a second form of leukemia and treatment for the C.L.L. stopped working. Just last week doctors began a new type of chemotherapy. "He told me if that doesn't work you have a month. I hope it works I want to be here through the semester for these guys."
West remains optimistic. It was nearly 10-years ago that he quit his job in construction and began teaching a computer and architecture design class at Washington Union.
Colleagues say he motivates and challenges students by bringing in professional architects from the community.
"Last year they did a habitat for humanity project. They made a floor plan for habitat for humanity," said Washington Union Principal Joey Campbell.
Until this year, the avid cyclist rode his bike to school for 11-miles a day and still keeps his best time on the board.
"He's just an inspiration," said Vice President of Washington Union Hank Gutierrez.
"He told us we taught him something this year. It doesn't matter win or losses it matters the person you become on the field and off the field," said soccer player Natalie Aquino.
"I was meant to be a teacher....they inspire me," said West.
easton, education, deshaunta bullock
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back 18 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer 25 min ago
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- River Park Little League ready to play ball
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos