Minarets High School Grand Opening
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Property owners are paying for it, administrators worked for decades to build it, and now students are walking the halls of a new high school in the Madera County foothills.
The new Minarets High School is located in O'Neals just off Highway 41 in Madera County. Some classes began in September, now the school's final construction is complete.
The school flag was officially raised during the grand opening of Minarets High School in Madera County.
Principal Michael Neihoff says this is a 21st century facility where every student has a laptop, all work is done digitally and projects for english, math even, PE classes are submitted as video productions.
Students like Destany Morgan and Cayla Bordwine say they are getting real world experience. When students aren't pitching projects -- they sing karaoke in the media lounge -- there is a recording studio on campus and every class is equipped with a green screen.
This is the first high school built in the Chawanakee Unified School District. With its panoramic view -- Minarets High sits in the middle of O'Neals, North Fork and the Yosemite Lakes Park communities.
School Board Trustee Barbara Bigelow says in the past students were bused all over the county to separate high schools.
She says since Madera County residents approved the bond to fund and build the new school, it has strengthened surrounding communities.
Administrators say with 135 students currently on campus, and a new freshman class being added over the next two years -- the school is already attracting students and teachers from throughout the Valley.
north fork, madera county, education, deshaunta bullock
- 4.1 earthquake shakes the Central Valley
- Fresno City Council holds public hearing on Westlake development
- Vigil held for victims of gang violence in Porterville
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- LA psychic, husband charged with curse scam 59 min ago
- California prostitutes win victim compensation 59 min ago
- Chaos, gunbattles, hungry kids in Central African Republic 59 min ago
- Lawmakers frustrated, optimistic about farm bill 59 min ago
- FUSD fears losing millions for low-income students
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- Gang member arrested after ABC30 story comment
- Clovis crash leaves motorcycle rider in critical condition
- How to make Christmas cookies and cocktails
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2