Former Fresno State athlete completed his American dream
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Students in one Central Valley school witnessed firsthand the hard work and amount of time it takes to become a naturalized citizen.
It took 12 years, but by raising his right hand and taking the oath of citizenship, Asen Asparuhov is finally an American. "I came to go college. I was looking for a better future for myself and my future family."
A native of Bulgaria, Asparuhov came to the Valley in 1998 and went on to become an All American Kicker for the Fresno State football team. "You just don't understand how many rights and opportunities you have when you live in this country until you come here from a foreign country and you take advantage of it."
He took the oath before a group of fifth and eighth grade students at St. Anthony's Catholic School where his wife is a fifth grade teacher. She says this was a unique opportunity for students.
Debbie Asparuhov said, "They shouldn't take for granted just being born here and you're automatically a citizen there's a long process people go through."
Students participated in the process. They answered the same types of questions as those on the naturalization test. Questions like who becomes president should something happen to the sitting president and vice president?
For Asparuhov he hopes students will see his new citizenship as a life lesson. "Hopefully they'll take advantage of all these opportunities and do something with their life make something of themselves."
fresno, fresno state bulldogs, education, deshaunta bullock
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back 9 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer 16 min ago
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant 51 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get...
56 min ago
- River Park Little League ready to play ball
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos