Former Fresno State athlete completed his American dream
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Students in one Central Valley school witnessed firsthand the hard work and amount of time it takes to become a naturalized citizen.
It took 12 years, but by raising his right hand and taking the oath of citizenship, Asen Asparuhov is finally an American. "I came to go college. I was looking for a better future for myself and my future family."
A native of Bulgaria, Asparuhov came to the Valley in 1998 and went on to become an All American Kicker for the Fresno State football team. "You just don't understand how many rights and opportunities you have when you live in this country until you come here from a foreign country and you take advantage of it."
He took the oath before a group of fifth and eighth grade students at St. Anthony's Catholic School where his wife is a fifth grade teacher. She says this was a unique opportunity for students.
Debbie Asparuhov said, "They shouldn't take for granted just being born here and you're automatically a citizen there's a long process people go through."
Students participated in the process. They answered the same types of questions as those on the naturalization test. Questions like who becomes president should something happen to the sitting president and vice president?
For Asparuhov he hopes students will see his new citizenship as a life lesson. "Hopefully they'll take advantage of all these opportunities and do something with their life make something of themselves."
fresno, fresno state bulldogs, education, deshaunta bullock
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95 38 min ago
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- Fire Safety