Talking about Osama bin Laden with your children
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- For children, the heartbreak of September 11, 2001 and the hatred behind the attacks can be hard to comprehend. The flood of information over the last few days has some asking tough questions and their parents trying to find the right response.
Five year old Oceana Hopkins has no idea what happened 9/11. After she saw video of Sunday's late night celebrations at the White House and other locations, she asked a question her mother wasn't ready to answer. "She didn't know what it was about. That's what she asked. I kind of directed her attention somewhere else," said Monica Hopkins.
Monica and Evan Hopkins of Fresno have seven children ranging from five months old to 16. Though the little ones know little to nothing about Osama bin Laden, the oldest has been asking questions. "'Is it revenge? Or justice? Or just what you have to do?' I said, 'It is what it is, basically. He wasn't going to stop going after people around the world. And in a circumstance like that, even though I don't believe in killing, you go to do what you got to do,'" said Evan Hopkins.
Fresno psychologist Dr. Garry Bredefeld says in situations like this, it's best to offer an honest and direct response. "You just explain that you as a parent are going to make them safe. And there are other people that have responsibilities to make the country safe and their neighborhoods safe. And that's the goal, and we're going to meet the goal. And that's what happened Sunday," said Bredefeld.
Bredefeld also says it's important for you to speak to your child with their age and cognitive level in mind. For the Hopkins family, that means several different conversations all with the goal of making their children feel safe.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
osama bin laden, education, amanda perez
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- The skinny on fitness video games
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos