UC Merced's new Chancellor visits campus
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- U.C. Merced's new Chancellor made her first official visit to the campus Thursday.
Dr. Dorothy Leland will take over for current Chancellor, Steve Kang, when he steps down on June 30.
Dorothy Leland grew up in the rural southern California town of Fillmore, and says it's nice to be back in her home state after serving as President of Georgia College.
But she knows she's taking on this new role during a time of unprecendented state budget trouble.
Doctor Dorothy Leland got a golf cart tour of U.C. Merced, and a chance to briefly meet with some faculty members and students Thursday.
Leland says she was instantly impressed by the beauty of the campus and the diversity of the young researchers here.
She also spoke about the need to build more facilities for the growing student body, which is nearing 5,000 but admitted that won't be easy.
"The state of California has had wealthier periods in its history so we're going to have to find creative new ways to get these facilities built quickly."
Leland expects to have a more concrete plan for the university's future within the next three months. Students we spoke with say funding is also their top concern.
"Tuitiion prices keep going up and up and up, so it's a challenge, but people can only do so much, so," Erin Ray said.
"When we read her resume, she looked like she'd be a really good fit for our campus, especially because she's brought a lot of federal research money into Georgia," Kyle Hamilton said.
Leland says one key to securing funding for this university will be eliminating any doubt about its importance to the Valley, the state, and the country.
"I want it to have both a state and national reputation for at least one or two areas of excellence. Don't ask me what they are yet, but we can do that."
Leland says she's been invited to have dinner with Chancellor Steve Kang tonight, and she hopes to get some good advice from him before he returns to teaching and research at U.C. Santa Cruz.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
merced, merced county, u.c. merced, education, sara sandrik
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Fire Safety