Help light a tree, help a local school
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Looking for a way to spread some cheer and make a difference in the lives of school children this holiday season?
Then you may want to head to the corner of Van Ness and Herndon Avenues in Northwest Fresno Wednesday night for a special tree lighting ceremony.
Bright lights. Bright students. Bright futures.
That's the theme of this year's McCaffrey Homes tree lighting ceremony, scheduled Wednesday night in Northwest Fresno.
"We believe we build more than just homes, but strong communities and we recognize strong schools make for strong neighborhoods," Karen McCaffrey of McCaffrey Homes said.
Employees are gearing up to "flip the switch" on a 35-foot artificial fir.
Nearly 2-thousand lights were wrapped around its limbs to shine the light on the need for support at local schools.
"With budget cutbacks, the schools are in such need for funding today so we feel this is a wonderful way to help local students and invest in our community's future."
For just 10 bucks members of the community can sponsor a bulb to benefit thousands of students at valley schools.
This year, for the first time in it's 3 year history, 100-percent of the proceeds will go towards literacy programs at Clovis and Central Unified schools.
That's money Dr. Laurel Ashlock says her district desperately needs to keep its summer library program available to students.
"In Central Unified, we don't have any county libraries so during summer... our students don't have access to reading material," Ashlock said.
Ashlock would like to raise at least $75-hundred dollars in order to keep 3 libraries open and fully staffed for summer, but says every penny counts when it comes to educating children in a tough economy.
"This is the 4th year to have our libraries open and at the same time we have our Summer Seamless Program - so we feed students in our community in the summer," she said.
If you'd like to sponsor a bulb, it's just 10 bucks and is tax deductible. Donations will be accepted until January 2nd.
clovis unified school district, fresno northwest, christmas, education, linda mumma
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos