Sierra Foothill Charter School to open next fall
MARIPOSA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- A foothills community that lost its elementary school is now preparing to open a new one.
The Mariposa County school district shut down Catheys Valley Elementary in May to save money. But this week the school board approved a petition to start a charter school at the closed campus.
Now organizers are busy preparing to open the new Sierra Foothill Charter School next fall. That includes hiring four teachers and two other full-time staff members to work with nearly 90 students. They also plan to create a more hands on curriculum than some traditional public schools.
The charter school has agreed to pay the district $100 thousand in rent for the first year and $75 thousand a year after that.
mariposa, mariposa county, catheys valley, education, sara sandrik
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos