10 UC Merced RAs asked to resign allegedly due to alcohol
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Ten UC Merced students who work as resident assistants have been asked to resign.
The university could not comment on what the RAs did wrong, but multiple students tell Action News it had to do with drinking.
A UC Merced spokesperson says the RAs have been told to move out of the dorms where they worked and lived - by Sunday.
Resident assistants are typically sophomores, juniors, or seniors who are hired to supervise other students in their dorm.
UC Merced had 35 RAs -- so, it's down to 25 for now. One freshman says some students are upset about the resignations.
Brenda Ortiz said, "They will be shifting some of the current resident assistants over so we have coverage in all the dorms so there's no lack of supervision."
Katie Teresi said, "There's a big outcry, there's some people trying to get their RAs back."
The former resident assistants will not lose their status as students.
u.c. merced, merced county, merced, education, rick montanez
- Ryan Rodriquez kidnapping suspect descriptions released 43 min ago
- Gang member arrested after ABC30 story comment
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Walking Dead actress admits sending ricin to Obama
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire