CSU enrollment freeze for spring of 2013
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The California State University system has announced plans to freeze enrollment at most of its 23 campuses next year, including Fresno State. Under the plan, only a few hundred students would be enrolled at campuses in the spring of 2013, compared to about 16,000 last year.
Fresno State enrolled nearly 800 students for the current spring semester. In the spring of 2013, the campus is among 14 others in the CSU system that won't be enrolling any new students. "The idea again is that we're trying to reduce our enrollment to better match the funding available based on massive budget cuts we've received in the last several years," said Michael Uhlenkamp, a spokesperson for the CSU Chancellor's office. The money saving plan is in response to $750 million in budget cuts this year.
Under the plan, enrollment would only be open at eight campuses statewide and Fresno State is not on the list. That enrollment would be limited to a few hundred transfer students who are guaranteed admission under new state legislation. That guaranteed admission would only apply those eight campuses.
If voters don't approve the governor's tax initiatives on the November ballot, fall 2013 enrollment could be impacted, too. News of the reduced enrollment was another blow to students at Fresno City College. Summer Cecil has already been admitted to Fresno State for the upcoming fall but says offering help to younger students is tough. "It's great to be able to give advice on how to work the angles, but it's difficult setting that grim future. You might not get the classes that you want and you might not get to transfer. It's a reality that you face," said Cecil.
california state university fresno, budget cuts, california budget, education, amanda perez
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl 50 min ago
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 30 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos