Visalia Unified cuts positions for coming year
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A South Valley school district has cut several positions for the next school year.
Visalia Unified will be laying off or reducing the hours of seven classified positions.
One of the layoffs will be an office position from the district's main administration office.
The other two will be office positions from two middle schools.
Visalia Unified says the cuts were part of a previous contract agreement.
"That was a two year old agreement and we've actually saved the positions thru one-time funding but we're out of one-time funding and so we did have to complete that layoff agreement," Visalia Unified Superintendent Craig Wheaton said.
Visalia Unified reduced the hours of several employees as part of its transition into opening a new elementary school in August and moving several teachers to the new site.
visalia, tulare county, budget cuts, education
- Feds look to protect frogs, toads in Sierra Nevada 4 min ago
- Native American remains found during fishing trip
- 18-month-old child dies in Kern County house fire
- Mariposa fire evacuees are heading home
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini, 51, dies
- Brian Calhoun pleads not guilty in student attack
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns
- Panel restores some pay for California lawmakers, governor
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Valley kids get a new perspective on water
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
- Accuweather Forecast
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos