Fresno State nursing students to receive degrees
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- About two dozen Fresno State nursing students are relieved today after the university made a decision that those students say will give them a career boost.
On Monday morning university officials held a closed door meeting with a group of students to discuss their future in the nursing program. In that meeting they addressed information given by a faculty member who told students they would receive two degrees in a program designed to only award them one.
Bernadette Sankey and about two dozen of her fellow nursing students are elated with Fresno State's decision to award their class a Bachelor of Science in Nursing or BSN before their Master's degree.
On Monday university officials met with students including Sankey. At issue - a faculty member's misinformation.
The program, the Entry Level Master's Degree Program, administrators say, is designed for students with a non-nursing bachelor's degree. On graduation day students will pick up a Master's Degree in Nursing but not a BSN.
Sankey says when she signed up for the program she was told she would obtain both. After an investigation officials found out a faculty member was responsible for providing students with the wrong information. Dennis Nef, Dean of Undergraduate Studies said, "It appears they had been told either in an email or in personal interviews that they could earn a bachelors or a science degree as part of their master's program but that's not how the program was established or set up."
During Monday's meeting staff members told students they would award them with both degrees to correct the error.
Students are thrilled with the decision. They say getting two nursing degrees makes them more competitive in the job market. This is the only class that will be grandfathered under that policy. Future students will only receive a master's degree.
fresno state, fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, education, mariana jacob
- 4.4 earthquake shakes Los Angeles area 22 min ago
- Crimea declares independence, seizes property 29 min ago
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids 39 min ago
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Los Angeles police get loaner Lamborghini
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos