Hundreds graduate from Fresno Unified high schools
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- After a 13-year investment, Monday was finally graduation day for seniors from two Fresno Unified schools.
Whether they're headed to college, to work, or on a European backpacking trip to find themselves, the impact of what they've accomplished was not lost on the graduates.
When the Fresno High Warriors left the stage, it was Knight time.
Bullard High rehearsed for perfection Monday afternoon.
With 59 valedictorians and a six-foot-four-inch, 250 pound tight end for a seating marshal, the Knights were planning a smooth night.
"I'm excited. I can't wait for it to be over. It's kind of sad, though, seeing all my friends. I have like two weeks left and then I'm heading off to college, so it is kind of emotional," graduate Ian Taubler said.
Taubler is destined for UCLA and a football scholarship.
But not all these graduates have such a secure future, and many of the kids who started their education at the same time never made it this far.
Fresno Unified's graduation rate was significantly beneath the statewide average, according to the Department of Education, at 66 percent, compared to 74 percent across California.
Monday's graduates know they've achieved something significant.
"Can't do anything without a high school diploma," graduate Joe Cuevas said.
Now they've done it, and since it was their day, Action News let a graduate have the last word.
"I just want to say 'congratulations to the class of 2012.'" Taubler said.
Fresno Unified's other schools will be holding their graduations later this week.
education, corin hoggard
- Dozens killed as tornado strikes Oklahoma town
- Teacher convicted of sex with student sentenced 36 min ago
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley
- Tower District crimes attacked head-on
- Experts say warm spring means more bugs 21 min ago
- Search for new Fresno State president wrapping up
- Fowler High School holds college signing day
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Cement truck overturns on HWY 99 to HWY 180 interchange
- Neighbors help save Madera home from fire
- The skinny on fitness video games
- The final push for California's 16th Senate seat
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- Experts say warm spring means more bugs
21 min ago
- Teacher convicted of sex with student...
37 min ago
- Madera County fire nearly contained
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos