UC Merced sees spike in summer school
MERCED, California (KFSN) -- UC Merced has its largest summer school class in the university's history. Nearly 17-hundred students enrolled in summer classes this year. That's about 25 percent more than last year.
Administrators made a change to the schedule this year to allow more students to take advantage of summer school. In the past, they've offered a six week session and an eight week session that started at the same time. But this year, the second session started as the first one was ending.
Nearly one-thousand students enrolled in both. Many say they're hoping it will help them graduate on time.
Xochitl Roman said, "I think it's better if you try to graduate in four years, unless you do like say double major or something, but I always think four years is better just so you're on track with your life and stuff."
Only about 27 percent of students who enrolled at UC Merced in 2007 graduated in four years.
u.c. merced, merced, merced county, education, sara sandrik
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos