Group launches Dr. Tony Vang recall effort
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A group of community members has launched an effort to recall a Fresno Unified School District board member. Dr. Tony Vang has served on the board since 2002 but in the last few months, voting records have cast doubt on his eligibility to serve.
A group called Community United for Education Justice announced the recall effort Wednesday afternoon in front of the Fresno Unified Headquarters. The group includes the Fresno Teachers Association, activists, and other community members who want Dr. Vang to resign.
More than two months ago, documents from the Fresno County Clerk's office showed Vang registered to vote in 2007 from an address in the Clovis Unified School District and outside of the district four trustee area he was elected to represent. "He should not be a voting voice. He should completely step down. He does not represent the district; he doesn't live in the district," said Mai Summer Vue, a member of the Community United for Education Justice.
The group said they are in the process of hiring an attorney and a consultant to help organize the recall effort. They plan to begin collecting signatures in September.
Wednesday afternoon, Vang responded to the recall effort in a statement. "I maintain that I am in full compliance with the requirements for my board position and will not be forced to resign due to an unfounded recall campaign," said Vang.
fresno unified school district, education, amanda perez
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals