Fresno Pacific University welcomes new president
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Pacific University is starting off the new school year with a new president. And to top it off, the university announced a major gift.
This past July, Fresno Pacific University welcomed its eleventh president - Pete Menjares - to the family. The leadership change was also momentous because Menjares became the second Hispanic university president ever among liberal art Christian colleges.
Menjares said, "It has given me a great appreciation for education and the great privilege that higher education is today."
Growing up in LA and as the oldest of four children, Menjares was the first to graduate from college and eventually completed his PHD at USC.
"We have prayed we have hoped that an occasion would happen when we could have a residence."
President Menjares was also on hand Tuesday, as the university announced a major donation. Supporters Ted and Joyce Smith of Fresno donated their home to the university, which will serve as a residence and a place for university gatherings.
"Another miracle as well as a mark of strength going forward into the future," Menjares said. "This is encouraging for us."
Menajres says he feels honored to start the school year off on such a high note and he has plans to reach out to the community.
"So not only am I looking forward to serving as the president but I'm looking forward to encouraging, motivating and serving as a role mode and doing whatever I can," Menajres said.
President Menjares hopes his story and accomplishments are proof that with hard work anything is possible.
fresno pacific university, education, amanda venegas
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Sikh man who was beaten shares his story
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos