Fresno Pacific University welcomes new president
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Pacific University is starting off the new school year with a new president. And to top it off, the university announced a major gift.
This past July, Fresno Pacific University welcomed its eleventh president - Pete Menjares - to the family. The leadership change was also momentous because Menjares became the second Hispanic university president ever among liberal art Christian colleges.
Menjares said, "It has given me a great appreciation for education and the great privilege that higher education is today."
Growing up in LA and as the oldest of four children, Menjares was the first to graduate from college and eventually completed his PHD at USC.
"We have prayed we have hoped that an occasion would happen when we could have a residence."
President Menjares was also on hand Tuesday, as the university announced a major donation. Supporters Ted and Joyce Smith of Fresno donated their home to the university, which will serve as a residence and a place for university gatherings.
"Another miracle as well as a mark of strength going forward into the future," Menjares said. "This is encouraging for us."
Menajres says he feels honored to start the school year off on such a high note and he has plans to reach out to the community.
"So not only am I looking forward to serving as the president but I'm looking forward to encouraging, motivating and serving as a role mode and doing whatever I can," Menajres said.
President Menjares hopes his story and accomplishments are proof that with hard work anything is possible.
fresno pacific university, education, amanda venegas
- Pedestrian killed in HWY 99 hit and run in Fresno 2 min ago
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma 33 min ago
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos