Fresno Unified launches KSEP initiative
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Unified has launched a new district-wide initiative to assess students' skills early in their academic careers.
It's only the seventh day of kindergarten at John Burroughs Elementary School in Fresno but students in Maria Mata-Webb's class are already learning to read and write. That's because the teacher conducted a pre-assessment of her student's physical, social, and cognitive readiness, to get a feel for their skill level prior to the start of class.
Maria Mata-Webb told Action News, "It's been really useful to me as a teacher because we get to analyze the data and when the children came on the first day of school I already had an idea of their knowledge of their letters and sounds and colors and shapes."
It's all a part of The Kindergarten Student Entrance Profile, or KSEP, a district wide evaluation of all kindergarten students in order to better address their needs within the first 30 days of school.
FUSD Deputy Superintendent Ruth Quinto said, "This is all about getting kids to read on or above grade level by the third grade and starting that immediately in their educational career is definitely the best way to go."
The program was developed over six years as part of a school, community and university research collaboration at the University of California Santa Barbara, and was implemented at Fresno Unified at the end of last year.
As part of KSEP, each teacher meets with the parents of the child to ask them a series of short questions and then interacts with the student to observe their strengths and weaknesses.
Maria Mata-Webb explained, "I really love that part of the assessment because we really get an idea because some of the parents say, "you know what, they don't sleep well or they're really picky eaters," so it gives me a very big picture of the child... what the child is like."
Because in the end, teacher Maria Mata-Webb says knowledge is power, and the more she knows about her students, the better she can help them succeed.
fresno unified school district, fresno, fresno county, education, linda mumma
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes 21 min ago
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Accuweather Forecast
20 min ago
- Fresno State program gets students...
21 min ago
- Work underway on new mural in Downtown Fresno
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos