Three Valley schools cited for testing irregularities
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Out of more ten thousand schools in the state, testing irregularities were uncovered in just 23.
The tests were taken in May of last year. The results released this month. Three of the schools with testing problems in the Central Valley.
Fresno's Cooper Middle school was cited, along with Freedom Elementary in Farmersville, and Oak Valley Union Elementary in Tulare.
At Cooper it was determined the teacher prepared students for algebra tests with questions that were nearly identical to those on the test and provided scratch paper that laid out the basic coordinates used in solving algebra problems.
At Freedom, in Farmersville the principal inspected and checked the tests after they were taken.
At Oak Valley in Tulare the teacher read the actual questions to students, and provided coaching on the answers.
In all three schools these irregularities were discovered by other school personnel and reported to the state. The punishment is the school loses itSs API score and ranking. High scores can indicate good schools and neighborhoods. Low scores can make the school and its neighborhood seem undesirable.
Some parents, like Wendy Monejano of Fresno, feel there can be too much emphasis on the tests.
"I think testing is great as a benchmark, as a way to tell how the kids are doing and how the school is coming along, and gives teachers an idea of how students are doing but I don't like the idea of teaching to the test."
Wendy's child attends Cooper Academy, a new school the district created at Cooper Middle School, where high performing students are invited to attend.
Nobody from Fresno Unified would appear on camera to discuss the testing problems but a written statement said:
"Most of the alleged security breaches reported to the District annually are irregularities that inadvertently occurred."
Teachers and administrators involved in the three Valley Schools were disciplined.
fresno unified school district, education, gene haagenson
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery 34 min ago
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88 8 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies