$40M in Race to the Top funding hangs in the lurch
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- City and county leaders are calling on the Fresno Teacher's Association to resume talks with Fresno Unified over its grant application for "Race to the Top."
If awarded the federal grant, the district would get nearly $40 million for early education.
The deadline was extended when hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast, which is why Fresno Mayor Ashley Swearengin, and council members Oliver Baines and Blong Xiong, are urging the teacher's union to reconsider its position and return to the table to continue talks.
Ashley Swearengin said, "I want to make it clear that this is not just about the school district and the fta, this is about our entire community and the 26,000 kids who are in preschool to third grade who would benefit from this application."
Oliver Baines said, "We think this is a big deal. We think 10 million dollars in resources per year could really really make an impact on our education system, make an impact in the lives of our youth and the families that are trying to better themselves."
The FTA says a number of sticking points need to be ironed out in order to give their stamp of approval, including language about teacher evaluations, which is required in the grant.
Superintendent Michael Hanson says he's willing to negotiate changes.
fresno unified school district, fresno city council, fresno county board of supervisors, ashley swearengin, fresno, fresno county, education, linda mumma
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall 18 min ago
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe 5 min ago
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95 12 min ago
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Video: Fresno's homeless search for shelter from...
- Accuweather Forecast
12 min ago