Kids take part in FUSD taste test
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Sometimes the best field trips are the ones where the kids get to eat. Fresno Unified is teaching kids to make healthier choices.
4th graders from Kratt Elementary had their eyes on the goodies up front. No need to study for this taste test. They were free to try whatever fruit and vegetables they liked at the district nutrition center.
Strawberries were king but other items also proved to be popular. Nutrition educators from UC Cal Fresh were here to teach the kids about the importance of trying different kinds of fresh produce.
Nutrition educator Kristi Sharp explained, "We encourage them to try it and then they try it and wind up liking it. That's a saying - you can't judge it unless you try it."
Once they do try something new they usually like it.
Fresno Unified food services director Jose Alvarado said, "Some students tasted jicama and they had never tasted jicama before so now if we put it on the menu they get an idea of what jicama is all about."
The tour allowed students to see where their daily meals are prepared. Think of the hairnets as thinking caps because the kids are clearly learning valuable lessons.
"They ask some very interesting questions about the density of the product," said Alvarado. "How many nutrients, calories?"
Fresno Unified is the state's largest grant recipient of the fresh fruit and vegetable program. The produce isn't just being used in the cafeteria.
Alvarado added, "We are serving fresh fruit and vegetables during recess every day at 45 elementary schools as a grab and go item."
The items which do make the menu are those which rated high in taste tests among kids.
fresno unified school district, education, dale yurong
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno 14 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Parker surprises fans with Parker Gram
39 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos