Dr. Joseph Castro named new Fresno State president
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The California State University Board of Trustees has just selected UC San Francisco Vice Chancellor Dr. Joseph Castro as the new President of Fresno State.
Fresno State has a new president. The announcement came just after 9 a.m. Wednesday at the California State University Board of Trustees meeting in Long Beach. The man picked is Doctor Joseph Castro.
Castro is from the Valley, but currently works as a Vice Chancellor at U.C. San Francisco. The Hanford native is the first member of his family to attend college, and he and his wife Mary -- who is also from the Valley -- have three children including one daughter who currently attends Humbolt State.
Castro is coming to California State University, Fresno from U.C. San Francisco, where he most recently served as Vice Chancellor of Student Academic Affairs. He was among three finalists who were in Long Beach on Monday to interview with the Board of Trustees to replace retiring President John Welty who has served Fresno State since 1991.
During his 23 year career, Castro has served in several leadership positions across the U.C. system including Merced, Davis, Berkeley and Santa Barbara. The board of trustees said Castro's combination of demonstrated achievements, leadership skills, and academic credentials make him an ideal person to serve as president of Fresno State.
Castro earned a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science and Master's Degree in Public Policy from U.C. Berkeley and a doctorate in Higher Education Policy and Leadership from Stanford University. Castro will begin his new position at Fresno State by August first.
President Welty was in attendance for the announcement. He told Action News that he has known Castro for about 10 years and that he's very personable.
Also announced at the Wednesday morning California State University Board of Trustees meeting, Fresno State provost William Covino will be heading to CSU Los Angeles. Covino was named President of C.S.U. Los Angeles after spending nearly four-years as provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs at Fresno State. Before coming to Fresno, Covino worked in the same position at C.S.U. Stanislaus.
Stay with Action News for continuing coverage of Fresno State's Future, and the selection of Dr. Castro as the university's new leader.
fresno state, joseph castro, education
- Reward raised to $100K to find Ryan Rodriquez
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Local heroes honored for bravery in Fresno
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos