70 Fresno kids walked away with a free bike
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Kids are gearing up for the start of summer and at one Fresno Unified school, students will be riding in style. More than 70 bikes were awarded to high-achieving students Monday afternoon.
The excitement was palpable throughout the auditorium at Addams Elementary School in west central Fresno. Both students and parents cheered as more than 70 bicycles were unveiled.
"I just feel like surprised, excited," said 4th grader Vanessa Phengdy. She was one of 79 students who received a pair of wheels. "I deserved it because I did good character and got good grades."
The non-profit group, Off The Front works kids in low-income neighborhoods to improve their grades while building character and service. At the end of the program, successful students are awarded with a bike worth $100. "This isn't a gift. This is something that they've worked all year. So when they have their bike, they put their name on it, they know [it's theirs]," said Mike Slayden with Off The Front.
Organizers said the bikes also help students combat childhood obesity by staying active. "I already had a bike and it kind of broke so I needed a new one," said 4th grader Emmanuel Perez.
Along with a bike, students were also given a helmet and lock to protect their prize. "This bike is going to be a special bike because they earned it and they worked towards all year long," said parent Shantea Wallace.
And kids say their new ride will serve as motivation to keep their grades up and live an active life.
Off The Front has given more than 900 bikes to students in the past 4 years.
education, carlos saucedo
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed