Proposition 30 allows Parlier students to get iPad Airs
PARLIER, Calif. (KFSN) -- Inside a crammed Parlier auditorium students waited anxiously. Many students don't have a computer so the thought of taking an iPad Air home seemed, unbelievable.
"I feel excited; I have been waiting for this for a long time. I can't put it into words," said Ray Zulaoga.
"I am really excited. I feel like we're making history," said Julissa Vasquez.
Vasquez a 4.0 student is the daughter of two grape pickers. She plans on becoming the first person in her family to graduate college. A new notepad gives her opportunities she never thought she'd have.
Parlier Unified superintendent Gerardo Alvarez is also the son of farm workers. He graduated from the school and knows what it's like for the 99 percent of teenagers who are on the free or reduced lunch program. Alvarez believes giving the teens iPad Airs and hot spots provides them with a world-class education at this fingertips.
"We have many migrant students and we know they go to Mexico and Texas. That hotspot will follow them wherever they go. There is no excuse for them not doing their homework," added Alvarez.
A state grant and money from Proposition 30 made it all possible. All adult content and social media sites are banned and usage will be monitored carefully by the school district.
parlier, education, mariana jacob
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo...
35 min ago