Jeremy Renner: From Modesto to the Oscars
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- A North Valley native could become an Academy Award winner. Jeremy Renner, the star of the Iraq war drama "The Hurt Locker" is nominated for best actor.
He grew up in Modesto and took his first acting class at the junior college there. Renner still has family and friends in Modesto, and he credits two acting teachers there with helping him get his start in show business.
Those closest to the 39-year-old say they couldn't be more happy or proud.
Renner's sister Nicky Emens said, "For the Oscars, that's just something where he's been nominated against all these other huge people, Jeff Bridges, George Clooney, and to see him up there with all those actors is a bit surreal, exciting, we're all very proud, but it's a little shocking."
Former acting teacher Charline Freedman said, "I'm just thrilled for him because he's worked for it, he's earned it. He's stayed well grounded, and I love the kid to pieces."
north valley, modesto, entertainment, sara sandrik
- Patricia Perez and David Barrera found guilty of first degree murder 17 min ago
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital 45 min ago
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised 32 min ago
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use 53 min ago
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos