Jeremy Renner: From Modesto to the Oscars
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- A North Valley native could become an Academy Award winner. Jeremy Renner, the star of the Iraq war drama "The Hurt Locker" is nominated for best actor.
He grew up in Modesto and took his first acting class at the junior college there. Renner still has family and friends in Modesto, and he credits two acting teachers there with helping him get his start in show business.
Those closest to the 39-year-old say they couldn't be more happy or proud.
Renner's sister Nicky Emens said, "For the Oscars, that's just something where he's been nominated against all these other huge people, Jeff Bridges, George Clooney, and to see him up there with all those actors is a bit surreal, exciting, we're all very proud, but it's a little shocking."
Former acting teacher Charline Freedman said, "I'm just thrilled for him because he's worked for it, he's earned it. He's stayed well grounded, and I love the kid to pieces."
north valley, modesto, entertainment, sara sandrik
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather