Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- It's the eve of Hollywood's biggest night, the 82 Annual Academy Awards.
Final touches are being put on the Kodak Theater, where the envelopes will be opened and the winners announced.
" When it comes to the academy awards this year: size matters," Entertainment Blogger Anne Thompson said.
Sunday night, the Oscars will be hosted by two hosts instead of one: Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin.
And this year, 10 movies instead of the usual five will be considered for best picture, a move that will let more popular movies compete and it's hoped draw more TV viewers
"They want people who are big fans to watch an Oscar night and root for their favorites," Thompson said.
History could be made too. Lee Daniels, who directed "Precious" is only the second African American ever nominated for best director.
And if Kathrine Bigelow won for "The Hurt Locker", she'd be the first woman to win best director. Not to mention bragging rights of beating her ex-husband James Cameron who directed Avatar
Though Avatar, with nine nominations is expected to win something. If it got the most coveted "best picture" nod by academy members, it would be the first science fiction movie to ever pull that off.
"They have responded badly to sci-fi in the past"
Look for a dramatic contests in the acting categories. Up In The Air's George Clooney got the early buzz for best actor in a leading role but Jeff Bridges got a standing ovation at the Golden Globes for his work in crazy heart, was that a sign?
And what about best lead actress? Sandra Bullock of surprise hit "The Blind Side" has never won but she's got steep competition from Julie and Julia's Meryl Streep.
academy awards, entertainment
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch