Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- It's the eve of Hollywood's biggest night, the 82 Annual Academy Awards.
Final touches are being put on the Kodak Theater, where the envelopes will be opened and the winners announced.
" When it comes to the academy awards this year: size matters," Entertainment Blogger Anne Thompson said.
Sunday night, the Oscars will be hosted by two hosts instead of one: Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin.
And this year, 10 movies instead of the usual five will be considered for best picture, a move that will let more popular movies compete and it's hoped draw more TV viewers
"They want people who are big fans to watch an Oscar night and root for their favorites," Thompson said.
History could be made too. Lee Daniels, who directed "Precious" is only the second African American ever nominated for best director.
And if Kathrine Bigelow won for "The Hurt Locker", she'd be the first woman to win best director. Not to mention bragging rights of beating her ex-husband James Cameron who directed Avatar
Though Avatar, with nine nominations is expected to win something. If it got the most coveted "best picture" nod by academy members, it would be the first science fiction movie to ever pull that off.
"They have responded badly to sci-fi in the past"
Look for a dramatic contests in the acting categories. Up In The Air's George Clooney got the early buzz for best actor in a leading role but Jeff Bridges got a standing ovation at the Golden Globes for his work in crazy heart, was that a sign?
And what about best lead actress? Sandra Bullock of surprise hit "The Blind Side" has never won but she's got steep competition from Julie and Julia's Meryl Streep.
academy awards, entertainment
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Man dies after being shot in the chest in Parlier
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 58 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it 18 min ago
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- Near drownings on the rise 44 min ago
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free