'The Pacific,' 'Glee,' top Emmy Awards nominees
LOS ANGELES, CA -- "Glee," the spunky TV musical comedy about high school misfits and the teachers who shepherd them, was a top Emmy nominee Thursday with 19 bids, including for best comedy series and stars Matthew Morrison and Lea Michele. .
The leading nominee was the gritty, unsparing World War II drama, "The Pacific," with 24 nominations.
Conan O'Brien is gone from "The Tonight Show" but his short tenure as host is not forgotten: The late-night show with him at the helm nabbed a nomination as best variety, music or comedy series, while resurrected Jay Leno was snubbed in the category.
David Letterman's "Late Show" also was missing from the category, after a season in which the host turned an admission of affairs with female staffers and a blackmail attempt into high broadcast drama.
Besides "Glee," other newcomers receiving Emmy recognition include "Modern Family," with nods for best comedy series and for five members of its ensemble cast, and "The Good Wife," a nominee for best drama and recognition for star Julianna Margulies.
The final season of "Lost" garnered nominations for best drama series and a nod for star Matthew Fox and supporting nominations for Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson. Elizabeth Mitchell received a guest actress bid for the drama.
"Saturday Night Live" received 12 nominations for a total 126 nominations during its run, surpassing the "ER" all-time record of 124 bids. One of the nominations went to Betty White, who at 88 proved you're never too old for comedy when she hosted the show to big ratings and applause.
Besides "Glee" and "Modern Family," other nominees for best comedy series include "Curb Your Enthusiasm," "Nurse Jackie," "The Office" and last year's winner, "30 Rock," with its third consecutive bid in the category.
Joining "Lost" and "The Good Wife" as best drama series nominees were "Breaking Bad," "Dexter," "True Blood" and "Mad Men," which won the award for the past two seasons.
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room 55 min ago
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress 40 min ago
- Avatars helping athletes 30 min ago
- Costly headphone disappoints 26 min ago
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times 44 min ago
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire 49 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Consumer Watch: Costly headphone disappoints
28 min ago