Obama to honor Medal of Freedom recipients Tuesday
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama is awarding the nation's highest civilian honor to a diverse group of recipients, including a former president and a basketball legend.
Among the 15 recipients of the Medal of Freedom are President George H.W. Bush, former basketball star Bill Russell, businessman Warren Buffett and cellist Yo-Yo Ma. The president and first lady Michelle Obama will honor the winners at a White House ceremony Tuesday.
The Medal of Freedom is presented to people who have made important contributions to U.S. national security, world peace, culture or other significant public or private endeavors.
president barack obama, george h.w. bush, entertainment
- Woman killed in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting 34 min ago
- Man shot in upper torso in Parlier; 1 person detained
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse 2 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes