Affleck and McCain team up to help Congo
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Actor Ben Affleck and the wife of former Republican Presidential Candidate, John McCain are teaming up.
They hope to bring attention to the sexual violence and poverty in the Republic of Congo.
Cindy McCain and Affleck recently visited the Congo which is Africa's third largest country.
The actor also has a charity, the eastern Congo initiative.
The duo is calling for a special advisor to the region who can coordinate the efforts of governments and western aid organizations.
Tuesday, they both testified before congress.
"We strongly believe that if we continue to place Congo on the back burner of U.S. policies it will come back to haunt us. The federal budget may be a zero sum game. But our morality, our sense of decency, our compassion for our fellow human beings is not," Afleck said.
Since 1998, more than 5 million people have been killed in the Congo by violence, disease and poverty.
More than 1 million have been forced from their homes.
africa, celebrity, entertainment
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Fresno State men's basketball to play in CBI tourney
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria 12 min ago
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Runners hit streets for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago 25 min ago