Chavez thanks Shakira for red, autographed guitar
CARACAS, Venezuela -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is thanking Colombian singer Shakira for an autographed red guitar that he says the artist sent him as a gift.
Chavez says he stayed up late strumming on the electric guitar and singing songs.
He told Venezuelan state television on Sunday: "Thanks to Shakira for that."
Information Minister Andres Izarra posted a photo of the guitar on Twitter after it arrived on Saturday.
Chavez said the musician asked to see him when she performed in Caracas in March, but that her flight was late and they were unable to meet.
Chavez says he was surprised by the gift, and has been practicing on the instrument while recovering from a knee injury.
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals