Chavez thanks Shakira for red, autographed guitar
CARACAS, Venezuela -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is thanking Colombian singer Shakira for an autographed red guitar that he says the artist sent him as a gift.
Chavez says he stayed up late strumming on the electric guitar and singing songs.
He told Venezuelan state television on Sunday: "Thanks to Shakira for that."
Information Minister Andres Izarra posted a photo of the guitar on Twitter after it arrived on Saturday.
Chavez said the musician asked to see him when she performed in Caracas in March, but that her flight was late and they were unable to meet.
Chavez says he was surprised by the gift, and has been practicing on the instrument while recovering from a knee injury.
- Teacher shot at Edison High School in Fresno
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos