Bert and Ernie: Sesame Muppets pressed to marry
NEW YORK -- An idea whose time has come -- or political correctness run wild? Depends on how you look at the effort being made to get "Sesame Street" muppets Bert and Ernie to get married.
A petition by Chicago resident Lair Scott asks people to sign up for the pals who share an apartment to get married -- as a way to make gay and lesbian youngsters feel better about themselves and to promote tolerance.
So far Scott's petition has picked up 5,800 signatures. But other sites have come out with petitions of their own calling for people to stop projecting a gay rights agenda on the beloved children's characters.
Twitter has been, well, a-twitter on the subject. It's a trending topic right now. One tweet wondered why so much attention is being paid to Bert and Ernie's domestic status when Oscar the Grouch lives in a garbage can.
Change site: http://www.change.org
Sesame Street site: http://www.sesameworkshop.org
gay rights, television, entertainment
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals