Bert and Ernie: Sesame Muppets pressed to marry
NEW YORK -- An idea whose time has come -- or political correctness run wild? Depends on how you look at the effort being made to get "Sesame Street" muppets Bert and Ernie to get married.
A petition by Chicago resident Lair Scott asks people to sign up for the pals who share an apartment to get married -- as a way to make gay and lesbian youngsters feel better about themselves and to promote tolerance.
So far Scott's petition has picked up 5,800 signatures. But other sites have come out with petitions of their own calling for people to stop projecting a gay rights agenda on the beloved children's characters.
Twitter has been, well, a-twitter on the subject. It's a trending topic right now. One tweet wondered why so much attention is being paid to Bert and Ernie's domestic status when Oscar the Grouch lives in a garbage can.
Change site: http://www.change.org
Sesame Street site: http://www.sesameworkshop.org
gay rights, television, entertainment
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- Wheels of Hope awards Valley family a new car
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos