Candy Cane Lane Parade: A family tradition in Visalia
VISALIA, Calif. (KFSN) -- Thousands of people braved the cold temperatures for a chance to see Santa Claus in person!
The fog hovered over Downtown Visalia Monday night but that didn't stop thousands of people from coming out to celebrate this year's Candy Cane Lane Parade. For many people, this parade has become a family tradition.
From police motorcycles to floats full of Christmas lights and music, families across the south valley bundled up to watch the 66th Annual Candy Cane Lane Parade.
"I just like seeing all the lights and I like seeing him all excited with everything," said Sara Villarreal of Visalia.
This year's theme was "Family Traditions" and it's clear most people in the South Valley make the Candy Cane Lane Parade a tradition every year.
One family began watching the parade after their son Alex was born. Now, the parade has become a holiday ritual with every year he grows older. "He's liking it a lot more than last year so that's fun. It's nice to see the spark in his eye," said John Remirez.
Brandee Escarsega comes to watch the parade every year, but not without Lola, who makes sure to wear a couple sweaters to keep her warm. "Christmas, it's the best time of the year! This is what gets the holiday season going!" though the fog made it hard to see some floats from far away-- it didn't dampen the mood. Gabriel Ramirez:
But the night is never complete without everybody's favorite -- Santa Clause!
Officers said the crowds Monday night were relatively calm. Downtown Visalians says anywhere from 6,000 to 10,000 people come out to watch the parade every year.
christmas, visalia, tulare county, entertainment, jessica peres
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Search resumes for missing Malaysian jetliner
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting 58 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified 37 min ago
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant 17 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 45 min ago
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get...
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos