Downtown Fresno prepares for WinterFest
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Preparations are underway for the First Annual WinterFest in Downtown Fresno this weekend.
One of the marquee events will be the children's parade at the Fulton Mall.
The Fulton Mall is littered with festive banners and wreaths in Downtown Fresno. It's all in anticipation of Saturday's Christmas parade which returns to the area of the first time in years.
"We are so thrilled to be doing the parade. It's a great tradition in Downtown Fresno and we're glad that we were able to save it from possibly extinction. So we're proud to be doing it," said Kate Borders with PBID Partners of Downtown Fresno.
The parade was in jeopardy of being canceled as recently as a few months ago, but city officials worked feverishly to find a partner willing to back the event financially.
"Kate and PBID have given rebirth to that parade. They've taken from the downtown path, about a mile of downtown back to its roots. It began on the Fulton Mall. With the Children's Parade people would parade down the mall and all the families would come and they would shop," said Heather Heinks with the City of Fresno.
The Annual Christmas Parade is a supplement to the first ever WinterFest event in Downtown Fresno. A passport ticket is the only thing you need to enjoy five different holiday activity locations all within a few blocks from one another.
The one day event is expected to bring thousands of people to downtown. The ultimate goal for organizers is to get them to return on a weekly basis.
"I think that every time you can bring people to downtown and give them an experience that they're going to take away and remember than you know you're building the future for Downtown Fresno."
Downtown Fresno is going to be busy this weekend with a lot of things to do, and ABC30 is a proud sponsor. But the marquee event is going to be the Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony here at night. Action News Anchor Margot Kim is going to be the emcee of that event. But you're going to need a passport to get around to all of the events.
holiday, fresno, fresno county, fresno downtown, entertainment, tommy tran
- Woman killed in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting 4 min ago
- Man shot in upper torso in Parlier; 1 person detained 43 min ago
- Large fire guts warehouse southeast of Fresno
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 36 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes