Miss California crowned in Downtown Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A new Miss California has been crowned in Downtown Fresno. Leah Cecil, Miss Garden Grove, received the crown.
The 58 women in the competition have spent the past week in Fresno.
Cecil was last year's first runner up. She's been competing in beauty competitions for years.
She says one piece of advice she could give to the other women in the competition is to never give up.
"It took me about three years to get my first title as a teenager. It was because I kept going with it, I didn't give up. Every year I learned something new. If these girls keep coming back, I know they will succeed," Cecil said.
Miss Garden Grove's platform is compassion for the convalescing. She plays the harp for children and people in convalescent homes.
Her first appearance as Miss California will be in Redwood City for the Fourth of July parade. She has until January to gear up for the Miss America competition.
fresno, fresno county, fresno downtown, entertainment
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father
- Free dental care to be offered in Fresno