Miss California crowned in Downtown Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A new Miss California has been crowned in Downtown Fresno. Leah Cecil, Miss Garden Grove, received the crown.
The 58 women in the competition have spent the past week in Fresno.
Cecil was last year's first runner up. She's been competing in beauty competitions for years.
She says one piece of advice she could give to the other women in the competition is to never give up.
"It took me about three years to get my first title as a teenager. It was because I kept going with it, I didn't give up. Every year I learned something new. If these girls keep coming back, I know they will succeed," Cecil said.
Miss Garden Grove's platform is compassion for the convalescing. She plays the harp for children and people in convalescent homes.
Her first appearance as Miss California will be in Redwood City for the Fourth of July parade. She has until January to gear up for the Miss America competition.
fresno, fresno county, fresno downtown, entertainment
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns 59 min ago
- 700 Carstens Fire evacuees allowed home
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- Dave Chappelle is back with new Funny or Die tour
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children
- Fresno looks for cost savings after Measure G fails