25th Annual Central California Women's Conference
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Filling the William Saroyan Theater, thousands of Valley women took a seat to take charge of their lives at the Central California Women's Conference.
With a serious, yet humorous tone, Carol Gardner kick-started the conference by sharing her success story of going from a broke, divorcee to a successful and happy card creator, all with the help of her dog Zelda. She told women that when it comes to life, they should be daring, smart and different.
Kathy McClure told Action News, "I know there is light at the end of the tunnel like she said and she just inspired me to keep going and we can all be successful no matter where we come from, no matter how much money we have, no matter where we come from, no matter what we look like."
This year the marked the 25th anniversary of the event, which was started by the late state senator Ken Maddy of Fresno.
CCWC Development & Marketing Director Jan Edwards said, "The mission has always been empowerment of women, information is power."
Besides listening to various speakers women also got the chance to come to Valdez Hall where they got to visit more than 150 booths, socialize and learn important lessons.
"I take away a lot of knowledge from different health, besides the goodies here, I'm more interested in what's out there," Mary Ellen Aguirre said. "This year, I'm looking into social security."
Aguirre says the conference help women realize it is important to take care of themselves - physically and mentally.
"It's just good to hear other women and the struggles they've gone through and to know you are not alone," Aguirre said. "It's that sisterhood of support that I always feel that I get."
charity, convention, fresno, fresno county, entertainment, amanda venegas
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions 10 min ago
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7