Big Fresno Fair is shaping up to be a hot one
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Opening day of the Big Fresno Fair is shaping up to be a hot one -- but organizers have an incentive to get people out despite the heat. Just one dollar will get people inside the gates on Wednesday and rides are also one dollar each.
Tuesday night, crews used a giant crane to hoist part of the newest water ride into place and carnival workers put the final touches on midway games. Throughout the evening, the entire fairgrounds buzzed with activity as vendors prepared for the crowds and the heat. "It definitely has its ups and downs. Some days it rains on opening day, some days it's hotter than hot on opening day. You just never know," said vendor Phillip Delahoide. Delahoide sells ice cream and frozen treats and is hoping to do well in the heat.
Organizers aren't worried, either. Misters are ready to go at Yosemite Station and they've got the bargain to offer as well. "How do you pass up dollar Wednesday? Just because it's a little too warm?" asked Lauri King.
Even with all the pre-fair buzz, Action News found at least a few characters that weren't quite ready for the excitement of the fair. Seven week-old piglets huddled in a corner of their exhibit in the livestock building, nervous about their new surroundings. Beginning Wednesday, they'll participate in what Reedley College's David Lopes considers the most important aspect of the fair. "Less than two percent of the population in the U.S. is connected to production agriculture. So a lot of people don't know about how we raise animals and why we do some of the things we do," said Lopes.
big fresno fair, entertainment, amanda perez
- Malaysian official: Investigators conclude jet hijacked 13 min ago
- SW Fresno crash sends 12 people to hospital
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon 39 min ago
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Chef Shayna's Irish favorites
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- YouTube: Newborn Gorilla Recovers After Emergency...
- John Hancock observatory in Chicago to Tilt