'Modern Family' actress' mom accused of abuse
LOS ANGELES (KFSN) -- The mother of "Modern Family" star Ariel Winter has lost temporary custody of the actress amid abuse claims.
According to court filings, the 14-year-old's mother, Chrisoula Workman, is accused of ongoing physical abuse, described as slapping and hitting as well as name-calling and personal insults.
Workman says it's all untrue. She has been ordered to have no contact with her daughter until a court hearing on Nov. 20.
Winter's older sister, 34-year-old Shanelle, has been appointed temporary guardian.
Winter, who started acting in films and TV shows at age 7, currently plays Alex Dunphy on the hit ABC comedy.
Attorneys handling the guardianship had sought to transfer control of the young star's earnings from an account her mother can access to a blocked account. A judge did not grant that request, but it may be renewed at a later date.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Deputy-involved shooting in Tulare County
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy 5 min ago
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident