'Modern Family' actress' mom accused of abuse
LOS ANGELES (KFSN) -- The mother of "Modern Family" star Ariel Winter has lost temporary custody of the actress amid abuse claims.
According to court filings, the 14-year-old's mother, Chrisoula Workman, is accused of ongoing physical abuse, described as slapping and hitting as well as name-calling and personal insults.
Workman says it's all untrue. She has been ordered to have no contact with her daughter until a court hearing on Nov. 20.
Winter's older sister, 34-year-old Shanelle, has been appointed temporary guardian.
Winter, who started acting in films and TV shows at age 7, currently plays Alex Dunphy on the hit ABC comedy.
Attorneys handling the guardianship had sought to transfer control of the young star's earnings from an account her mother can access to a blocked account. A judge did not grant that request, but it may be renewed at a later date.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Reward raised to $100K to find Ryan Rodriquez
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Local heroes honored for bravery in Fresno
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos