Hanford band Poor Man's Poison hits national stage
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Poor Man's Poison is a band from Hanford. The group is now gaining national attention for its folksy Americana sound. The four high school friends have played together for more than a decade and it's now paying off.
The guys in the group are not cowboys, but their music gets to the roots of the country scene.
"Maybe we were kind of that breath of fresh air, there's other things," said Dustin Medeiros. "Ultimately, we go back to the roots of what country was, where it came from."
Their grand prize was a check for $100,000, presented to them by the recording artist Jewel. The money will be put back into the band to fund their tour. The group was entered into the competition by their manager.
"That's what I've definitely learned, is to put yourself out there, put yourself anywhere and take a chance, you never know," said Mike Jacobs.
Many around the Valley say the rock, bluegrass, twang will help them make it big. But these guys said what's most important now are their wives and kids.
"The ultimate goal of the band is to financially support our families and live the American Dream, and be your own boss," said Tommy McCarthy.
On the home front the group is center stage.
hanford, kings county, central valley, entertainment, rick montanez
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight 2 min ago
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos