Thousands celebrate Fat Tuesday in Fresno's Tower District
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Thousands celebrated Fat Tuesday in Fresno's Tower District Tuesday, crowding into bars and along the sidewalks of Olive Avenue.
While they soaked in the party atmosphere, Fresno Police officers set up a command center in the center of it all. About 100 officers were assigned to the area, keeping an eye on the crowds and making sure drunk drivers stayed off of the streets. "There are a lot of good people here to enjoy the night and there are also some people here who can't handle the alcohol. They act out, they cause problems, so we're here to make sure that's controlled," said Lt. Tony Bennick with the Fresno Police Department.
Officers also enforced a 10 p.m. curfew for juveniles in the area. Violators were bused to a nearby community center, where their parents were called to pick them up.
entertainment, amanda perez
- Dr. Joseph Castro named new Fresno State president 2 min ago
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Eric Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor
- LA voters back measure to cap number of pot shops
- US home sales tick up to highest in 3 ½ years
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Canned peaches may be as good for you as fresh ones
- Mild, dry weather helps California rice growers
- Two Fresno State students share their stories from Oklahoma